Index > About Us > Designated Properties

Designated Properties

196 Lovekin Road, Newcastle


This property was once part of a 1200 acre site which was granted to Richard Lovekin Sr. In 1796.  Lovekin was the first settler in Clarke and his grandson, Richard Atwood Lovekin, has been recorded as the first white child born in the Township.  James Patrickson Lovekin, grandson of Richard Lovekin Sr., built Kilcolman for his bride Isabella Shaw.  The house was constructed in two phases, the first  being a one storey structure built in 1845 and the second storey addition which was added a few years later.  The house was designed in the Neo-classical style with predominant pilasters and lintels, and shows influences of the Regency format in it low hipped roof.  The house is designated for its historical significance plus the original glazing of the front entrance sidelights and transom and the two original French windows on the south facade.  In addition a number of interior features are designated. 

Designated by By-law 96-131

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

58 Queen Street, Bowmanville
Part of Lot 11, Block 4, Hanning Plan

This charming hip-roofed red brick cottage is a good example of smaller houses built in the central
part of Bowmanville between 1855 and 1880.  The following representative features have been
designated as being of Architectural value:

The simple peaked Gothic-style gable, generally well-preserved exterior brickwork in a common
bond style, original pine floors, decorative cast iron floor grates and original wooden trim
throughout most of the house.


Designated by By-law 89-002


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3496 Lambs Road
Conc. 3, Pt. Lot 7, Darlington Township



This storey and a half brick house was built circa 1855.  It is designated for notable interior
and exterior architectural features, such as the largely unaltered floor plan, original pine floors,
kitchen wainscoting, 15” baseboards in the front of the house and finely turned cherry banister
on the front staircase.  On the exterior, details of note are the returned eaves, six over six glazing,
fine front doorway flanked by moulded pilasters surmounted by an entablature and overhanging
cornice. The rectangular transom of coloured glass surrounding front door and sidelights featuring
fine Regency glazing.


Designated by By-law 89-031



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

250 Mill Street South, Newcastle
Lots 16 and 17, Block 14 of C.G. Hanning Plan (1868), Clarke Township

St. George’s Anglican Church, built in 1857, is recognized as being one of the finest of the smaller Gothic churches in Canada.  It was designed by architect William Hay, a native of Aberdeenshire, Scotland, who came to Canada in 1848. Constructed under his direction, St. George is a classic example of original Gothic Church architecture.  The building is notable for its asymmetrical composition, broach steeple, louvred lancet openings in each face of the tower’s bell chamber, plain English style buttresses and a half-timbered porch extending from the tower base. Of particular note the Gothic Tower with broach steeple and slate roof.  On the interior the open arches and columns,
ceiling panelling, early stained glass windows, boxed pews and organ are all of significance. The later additions (circa 1900) include the decorative painting on the east wall, large Tiffany of New York windows and other features are also part of the designation.

 

Designated by By-law 89-032



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23 Mill Street North, Orono
Block “Q”, C.G. Hanning Plan, Clarke Township

St. Saviour’s Church was built in 1869 by members of the Bible Christian Church organization.  It was intended to supplement a small wooden church, which they had raised on the same property in 1845.  In 1885, the building was ceded to the Church of England and known thereafter as St. Saviour’s. The building is a modest yet appealing example of Gothic Revival Architecture. It is designated for the well preserved exterior brickwork, executed in the common bond style with pilasters and horizontal rows of decorative corbelling and other details.

Designated by By-law 89-185


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1893 Concession Road 7
Conc.6, Pt. Lot 26, Darlington Township

Abram Varnum (1818-1889) is listed as the owner of this property on the 1861 Tremaine Map of the County and it is there that the name “Sunnyside” first appears.  Constructed in 1857 of random coursed fieldstone, “Sunnyside” is part of an important grouping of four stone houses along the 7th Concession west of Solina Road. Of the four, it is the best preserved and is arguably the most attractive stone farmhouse in the Township.  It is designated for the random coursed fieldstone exterior, original 6 over 6 sash and shuttered windows.  Of particular note are the Regency glazing pattern of the transom and sidelights of the front door and Trillage verandah of the west wing.

The driving shed (a separate structure south of the house) is designated for the fine random course fieldstone foundation, original 6 over 6 sash windows and clapboard siding.
 
Designated by By-law 89-186



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

166 Simpson Avenue, Bowmanville
Plan 652, Part Lot 10, Concession 1, Darlington Township

The John Frank house was constructed in 1856, and is the only remaining house in the Town of Bowmanville that was built of locally quarried limestone.  The history of the Frank family is very much the history of Bowmanville, which grew from a group of log cabins to a bustling town in under a century.  For many pioneer families, all that remain of their lives and struggles are tombstones in the cemetery, but for the Franks the unique limestone house at 166 Simpson Avenue provides a more substantial memorial.

Regency in concept, the house is three bays wide with a central gable. The original French doors on the south façade have been modified into windows.  Despite other major alterations, including the loss of the paired eaves brackets and the modernization of the front entrance, its picturesque character endures.

When the Franks arrived, Darlington Mills (now Bowmanville) was a true pioneer settlement – in a Census taken in 1828 (ten years after their arrival) there were still only 118 residents living in the Township.  The first John Frank died in 1831, and in 1833 his widow Jane and only son John purchased 240 acres from William Allan for the sum of 250 pounds. This large tract of land lay within both the Broken Front Concession and Concession One and stretched north from the lake to Kingston Road and west to Liberty Street. The family prospered, and in the 1861 Agricultural Census the property was valued at 10,000 pounds (8,000 land and 2,000 farm equipment and implements). In 1841 he had sold six acres of land to the Port Darlington Harbour Company and two and a half acres in 1854 to the Grand Trunk Railway.   The coming of the Grand Trunk Railway had a big impact on the Frank homestead.  Limestone deposits had been found on Frank land, and three entrepreneurs from the Niagara Peninsula opened a quarry there (at present day Baseline Road, one block west of Liberty Street).  This quarry supplied all the limestone for the bridges and culverts on the rail line from Frenchman's Bay to Port Hope, limestone for the Railway Station, and for the water tower.  It also provided building materials (and probably funds!) for John’s impressive new house (built 1856).

The property is designated for both cultural history reasons and it unusual exterior features of original limestone.


Designated by By-law 96-133



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


39-43 King Street West, Bowmanville

Buckler Block

In 1848 Aaron Buckler, a jeweler and watchmaker, arrived in Bowmanville and he bought the east half of
Lot 6 of the Grant Plan.  Here he built a business outlet for himself with living quarters above. In 1872 Buckler
purchased the west half of Lot 6 and had a pair of stores constructed circa 1880.  Early photographs indicate
that he continued his business at his original location and rented the two shops, the larger one to tailor W.H. Ives,
and the smaller to M. Ferguson, purveyor of such delicacies as oysters and ice cream.

The difference between the two structures is striking.  Built approximately forty years apart, the east building is Georgian vernacular while the west building is quite Italianate in format. Its predominant hood mouldings, projecting cornice with fret moulding and segmentally arched windows clearly depict the change in architectural fashion over the course of a few decades. 

 

Designated by By-laws 96-134 and 96-135



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6966 Highway 35/115, Village of Kirby

In January of 1872, Joseph Rickaby, acting on behalf of the trustees of the Kirby Congregation of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, purchased the site of the former Primitive Methodist Church from William Fielding.  In October of the following year, the trustees purchased an additional fraction of an acre from the adjoining property of congregation member Jonathan Tyerman for the sum of $69.81.  In 1880, a new Wesleyan Methodist Church was built on the site and it remains today in an excellent state of preservation.  Apart from the contrasting (now painted) quoins and hood surrounds, the church’s façade is relatively plain.  Its steeply pitched gable roof and simple lancet windows are hallmarks of the Gothic Revival style.  It is designated for its historical significance and for the exterior and interior features of such as the decorative quoins and hood surrounds, lancet windows, including those with panes of original coloured glass.  On the interior the tin ceiling and tin ceiling vent in the sanctuary, wainscoting in the sanctuary and lower hall and sanctuary pine floors.

 

Designated by By-law 96-164



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

182 Church Street, Bowmanville

Built circa 1871, this house exemplifies the Gothic Revival form of architecture with its symmetrical format, steep pitched roof and gable.  The house is constructed of brick in the Flemish bond pattern and retains its original windows and interior wood trim.  It is designated for exterior and interior features of architectural value including the 6 over 6 sash windows, stone window brackets and hood mouldings and main entrance transom and sidelights.  The interior features include the font hall and living room medallions, staircase, railings and banister and wood trim throughout.
 
Designated by By-law 97-016



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4478 Highway 35/115, Village of Orono

George M. Long was born in the U.S.A in 1839.  A devout Methodist, he ran a general store in Orono, was a leader of the Methodist choir and served on Orono Police Village Council.  His sturdy brick house was built in 1880, and its Italianate composition is evident through its low-pitched hip roof, wide overhanging eaves, buff-brick hood mouldings and heavily carved wooden brackets.  It is designated for exterior and interior features including the original front verandah and many features on the interior of the home.

 

Designated by By-law 97-017 



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

2656 Concession Road 4

Part Lot 10, Concession 4, Darlington Township

Built for farmer John Rutledge circa 1860, this storey and a half brick house was designed with Georgian symmetry and features of the Greek Revival period.  Located on the northeast corner of Liberty Street and the 4th Concession, the house has a distinctive “eye-brow” window over the front door. This architectural feature is found in only two structures in former Darlington Township.

Contrasting buff brick over the windows, paired brackets under the eaves, and the unusual double-hung windows which use four over four pane sash, are all features which make this house noteworthy.  The house also retains its returned eaves, much of its original glazing and its original window stacks.  The glazed porch with its bracketed eaves may be original, or it may have been added to the house sometime between construction and the 1880’s.   It is designated for a number of interior and exterior features. 

 

Designated by By-law 95-140



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1467 Prestonvale Road

Part Lot 32, Concession 1, Darlington Township

The 1861 Tremaine County Map and the 1878 Beldon’s Atlas depict this property as being owned by William Stevens (Stephens) born 1823. The house is a fine example of a Gothic centre gable farmhouse built of coursed fieldstone.  Constructed circa 1860, the two French doors at the front suggest that the house may originally have been designed with a verandah.  It is designated for a number of exterior and interior architectural features, most obvious is the scroll-sawn bargeboard and finial on gable.

 

Designated by By-law 96-071
 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1498 Regional Road 4

Part Lot 34, Concession 5, Darlington Township

The 1878 Belden’s Atlas identifies this property owner as Battey (no initial given).  The Atlas shows a 25 acre, rectangular lot, and is open to conjecture that it was originally the site of a tavern and building lot owned by Lawrence Battey (1851 census). The designated property was built circa 1885, and shows influences of Second Empire style.  It includes such architectural features common to the form as the fretwork verandah, paired bracketed eaves and buff brick quoins and window details.  During the 1920’s it was part of the Haass farm holdings.  It is designated for the many visible exterior features and interior feature such as the original wooden doors and hardware, wainscoting, wooden baseboards, trim and window casings, lath and plaster ceilings including medallions and cornicing.  In addition, there are other decorative trim and the original staircase with newel post and strawberry glass transom above the front entrance.

 

Designated by By-law 96-072



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Beech Avenue, Bowmanville

Known as the King (Rehder) house, this property was originally part of the Rathskamory Estate. In 1877, Abraham Younie (later Mayor of Bowmanville) purchased from John McClung a parcel of land which included this lot and two lots immediately to the north.  He gave the corner lot to his daughter Josephine and son-in-law William. King (1853-1921), a cabinet maker at the Dominion Organ Co. was later Bowmanville’s Postmaster (1912-1921).   The King name remains on a stone embedded in the boulevard.

Between 1884 and 1914 William King was a member of the Canadian Wimbledon (later Bisley) Rifle Team and made ten trips to compete in England. In 1894, he was the first Canadian to win the top prize – the St. George’s Gold Cross, Dragon Cup and Challenge Vase – a triumph for the Canadian team.  William King died in 1921 and in 1924 Charles Ernest Rehder of the Bowmanville Foundry bought the property. It remained in the Rehder family until 2010.

This imposing house was built in two phases.  The arched windows and Italianate details date from the original construction in the late 1870’s.  In the late 1880’s King radically changed the residence, transforming it to one of the finest examples in Bowmanville of the late Victorian Queen Anne style.  It is designated for its historical significance and for the numerous exterior and interior features.

 

Designated by By-law 90-073



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

27 Beech Avenue, Bowmanville

Known as Drumralla (meaning “At the Crest of the Hill”) this vernacular Italianate house was built in 1878 for William Forsyth Allen (born 1834).  It was the first house built on Beech Avenue, so named for the copper beeches with which it was lined.  On moving into town Allen, formerly a successful farmer in Clarke Township became actively involved in local affairs.  He was mayor from September of 1890 to December of 1892.  Of his three daughters, the eldest, Clara and the youngest, Margaret continued to reside in the house until their respective deaths in 1955 and 1959. Constructed with a projecting central bay, the structure boasts a wide front verandah and original slate roof.  The interior architectural features of note are original hardwood and pine floors, central staircase with newel post, banister and railings, plaster crown mouldings and medallions on the first storey and matching marble fireplaces in the living and dining rooms.
 
Designated by By-law 96-132



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

68 Centre Street, Bowmanville

This vernacular Italianate house was constructed in 1871.  The existing wide eaves, semi-circular headed window and segmentally arched windows on the second floor are all elements depicting its architectural style.  A distinctive feature of this dwelling is that the interior door castings and front window frames have all been built with decorative Italianate column trims.  It is designated for exterior and interior architectural features, such as the fieldstone foundation, brick window lintels and semi-circular headed window.  The interior features of note include the large living room ceiling medallion and original staircase with newel post and decorative trim.

 

Designated by By-law 96-074



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

34 Wellington Street,  Bowmanville

This brick town home was built circa 1886, and is good example of its type.  It is notable for having oak flooring throughout the first and second floors – upgraded by the builder when he decided to reside there!  It is designated for the masonry façade, decorative brackets and scroll work, carved detailing topping the second storey windows and original front door.  The interior retains much of the original oak flooring, staircase, railing and newel post in addition to other designated features.

 

Designated by By-law 94-148



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6537 Werry Road

Part Lot 26, Concession 6, Township of Darlington

“Willow Grove” is a charming example of a one and a half storey, random coursed fieldstone farmhouse.  Built in 1859, the first owner was probably George Wilbur, who is recorded as owner in 1861.  This is one of Darlington’s finer mid-nineteenth century farmhouses, and it is notable for the distinctive Venetian windows of the front façade, and the Regency glazed transom and sidelights.  It is designated for both exterior and interior architectural features common to these fine stone farmhouses.

 

Designated by By-law 95-27



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

59 Ontario Street, Bowmanville

This brick cottage was built in 1876 for John and Caroline Babcock, who ran Trelevens Reliable Shoe Store on King Street in Bowmanville.  Typical of Bowmanville’s Regency cottages, the house is constructed of Flemish Bond patterned brick and is three bays wide.  Also containing some very elaborate interior detailing, it is designated on the exterior for the Flemish Bond patterned brick, original eaves brackets,  newel posts and balusters of the front porch.  The interior is of note for its fine architrave parlour door, with capitals, brackets and fretwork and parlour windows.

 

Designated by By-law 95-028



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

110 Wellington Street, Bowmanville

 



This fine house is early Italianate, constructed circa 1870 of  red brick with contrasting buff quoins and mouldings over the arched windows on the lower storey.  The wide eaves under a low hipped roof have paired brackets.  The louvred shutters are original as is the front door with its arched segmented transom light and sidelights.  A boot scraper embedded in the walkway by the front door, and part of a hitching post is still in place.  The two-storey bowed verandah with Tuscan columns, dentils and turned balusters is unique in Bowmanville. Francis Raynes (1826 -1900) was possibly the original owner, and may have been related to Captain Robert Taylor Raynes (married to Charles Bowman’s daughter, Elizabeth).  The house is located on what was part of a large holding held by the Bowman/Raynes estate.

Francis Raynes’ origins are something of a mystery. In 1859 he married Anne Jones in Bowmanville (born Darlington 1836, died Bowmanville 1870) and his birthplace is given as Ireland.  However, on the 1871 Census return his birthplace is shown as Corfu, his second Marriage certificate in 1883 lists the Ionian Islands and his death certificate in 1900 again states Corfu. He was not living in the house at the time of his death, and had possibly suffered some reversal of fortune as his occupation is listed as “school attendant”. However, the house was still in family hands and remained so until the last daughter, Miss Margaret, died in 1945. It is designated for many exterior and interior features of architectural value including the bowed verandah with dentils on the cornicing, Tuscan columns and balustrade and other details.  On the interior it is the original plaster walls, ceiling medallions and marble fireplaces that are most noteworthy.
 
Designated by By-law 95-029



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

210 King Avenue West, Newcastle Village

The location of this rambling frame house was one of the earliest settled areas in Clarke Township.  The lot was part of a Crown grant to Captain John McGill, who sold it in 1801 to Robert Baldwin, one of the township’s earliest settlers.  The oldest part of the structure (now the rear wing of the present house) was originally a small frame dwelling dating from the 1830’s. The middle section dates from the 1850’s, and the entire front is a two-storey Edwardian addition, constructed by John Poole (a local master carpenter who was involved with the construction of St .George’s Anglican Church). 

It is designated for features of architectural value including the original 2 over 2 sash windows with storms, two 20 paned windows with storms plus other features.  On the interior is it the main staircase of wide-grained Virginia chestnut, original pine and oak floors, wood trims, moulding and doors throughout, plus fireplaces and mantles that first dominate the view.
 
Designated by By-law 95-030



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4672 Highway No. 2

Known as the George Beard house, this interesting fieldstone property still retains many original interior features.  Interior features are noted, but not designated at this time, including original front and back staircases, wainscoting in summer kitchen, rough plaster over lathe ceiling in summer kitchen, original iron ceiling hooks and wood trim throughout, pine flooring and interior doors. The house is designated for the exterior features including the coursed fieldstone front façade and sides, the stone voussoir over the front entrance and windows, the 6 over 6 sash windows, with some original glazing and cornice moulding and eaves returns to name a few.
 
Designated by By-law 95-031



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1848 Concession Road 6

Part Lot 27, Concession 6, Darlington Township

The Eldad United Church was built in 1865, and is possibly the oldest building in Darlington Township to have been consistently used as a church. Brick built in the vernacular Gothic style; it is designated interior and exterior features of architectural value.  Of particular note are the gothic arched windows and original church entrance.

 

Designated by By-law 92-083



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6720 Jewel Road

Part Lot 21, Concession 6, Clarke Township

This imposing example of the Ontario Gothic style was originally the home of John Galbraith (1815-1879), who emigrated from Scotland in 1835.  Mr. Galbraith, who had been educated at Edinburgh University, was an importer and breeder of Clydesdale horses and a sometime teacher at the nearby Kirby School house.  The house built in circa 1855 appears today as pictured on page 60 of the Belden Atlas of 1878.

Constructed of coursed fieldstone in the rare “T” shape, the house is surrounded on three sides by a recently restored verandah with gingerbread trim.  Probably constructed circa 1865, the house was named “Floradale” in honour of Galbraith’s wife, Flora MacConnachie.  Original bargeboards, lightning rods, finials and pendants decorate the roofline.  It is designated for numerous interior and exterior features of architectural value including the pine front door is known as a simple Cross and Bible encased by rectangular sidelights and three part transom.  Other features of note are the three –segmented bay window in the north wing and the nine-segmented pointed arch window in the steeply pitched south gable.  Much of the original interior remains or have been restored to the original materials and finishes.

 


Designated by By-law 92-232



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2662 Concession Road 8, Darlington Township

James Woodley (1804-1887) emigrated to Canada from England in 1836 and purchased property on the 8th Concession.  His house, built of brick circa 1850, is one of the earliest brick houses in the former Darlington Township (not designated).  In 1860, he purchased the southern 88 acres of Lot 10. In 1874 his son, Richard, took over that property and set up a sawmill. The Woodley Sawmill has been continuously run by the family since that date.  Richard Woodley’s frame house is representative of many houses built in the Township between 1850 and 1890 which incorporated a centre gable of Gothic derivation into the basic design of a small farmhouse. However, the majority of houses with a Gothic centre gable were built in brick or stone, and the Woodley house is unusual in that it is built of frame which remains in an excellent state of preservation.  The exact construction date cannot be determined, but a date between 1875 and 1880 would seem reasonable.

An earlier one and a half storey frame house stands on the property to the east and rear of
the main residence.  This was used as the hired mans house, and retains a small verandah at the rear.  It is quite possible that this verandah originally surrounded the house on three sides.

The main residence, hired mans house, the sawmill, driving shed and main barn are designated as a unit for their historical significance and architectural features.

 

Designated by By-law 92-233



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20 King Avenue West, Newcastle Village

The Community Hall of Newcastle Village, built in 1923, was a gift to the community by Chester Massey, native of Newcastle and grandson of Daniel Massey (founder of the Massey Farm Implement Company in 1849). The Neo-Georgian brick and stone building is an important example of the work of  Sproatt and Rolfe, Architects, who were also responsible for such significant structures as Hart House and Bishop Strachan School in Toronto.  The Community Hall is designated for its historical significance, and architectural features including the façade, with entablature and embrasure at entrance, including heraldic stone carving and motto, original main entrance doors and arched east entrance door.  The Great Hall windows, 16 over 16, topped with six-segment fanlights original stone mouldings and keystones, the slate roof and the clock and Clock Tower with slate spire. On the interior, the features designated are the four Great War Memorial tablets in the entrance lobby, arched doorways, two on the main floor having fanlights and stone mouldings.  The stone staircases, with wide brick and stone balusters, plus the concave ceilings in the Great Hall, Council Chamber and Masonic Lodge Room and all noted in the designation by-law.  In addition, the wood panelling and Art Deco lights throughout the building, plus features such as the ornate brick work in the Memorial Library, box office cage and original hardwood floors throughout the building are also noted.

 

Designated by By-law 93-147



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14 Park Street, Orono

This centre gable 1 ½ storey brick house was built between 1867 and 1871 by John Beer for his father George, a local blacksmith.  Built in the style of the classic Ontario farmhouse with its three bay wide façade, the house retains its square-headed transom above the central doorway and most original glazing. The Gothic door in the gable opens onto a cantilevered porch (restored early 1990’s).  This house has a single storey side wing – a less common arrangement than a projecting “tail” at the rear.  The entrance of the side wing is sheltered by a three sided porch.  The blacksmith shop stood to the east of the house, until destroyed by fire in 1899.  The house remained in the Beer family until the 1930’s.  It is designated for numerous features.  Of specific note are the original double-hung sash with louvred shutters, gable finial and gingerbread over the gothic arched gable door with entrance transom.  There are also numerous interior features of note that have been designated.

 

Designated by By-Law 94-146



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

240 Liberty Street North, Bowmanville

This two storey brick home in the vernacular Georgian style was constructed circa 1865 for Mr. Charles Young.  Its symmetrical façade is complete with 2 over 2 windows and  central doorway.  It is a good example of mid-nineteenth architecture.   The exterior is interesting with it masonry façade, louvred shutters and fine original features.  The interior has many fine well preserved features including the original staircase, including second floor railing, wood trim baseboards on both floors, plank floors in the living room and three bedrooms and the original window casings on both floors.

 

Designated by By-law 94-147



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

19 King Street East, Bowmanville

Part Lot 13, Block T

19 King Street East is part of the Bleakley Block, built circa 1880. 
This commercial block is the longest, largest and most elaborate of all the buildings on King Street.
At intervals, handsome panelled doors once led to the upper floors.  One of these remains at number
19, its exceptionally high transom still complete with a pair of original Gothic arches (now with replaced glazing).  The mansard roof of number 19 has lost its four ornate dormers, but still retains many of the original features that made the block much sought after by merchants catering to the carriage trade. 
It is designated for many distinctive features including the mansard roof, fretwork original glass panels
above shop windows (presently concealed by modern business sign) featuring copper cames and
bevelled glass medallions.

 

Designated by By-law 90-185



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16 Church Lane, Newtonville
Part of Lot 8, Concession 2, Clarke Township

This former Presbyterian Church dates from 1864, and was constructed to replace a small frame church (built 1849 and believed to have been situated a little farther to the east).  A burying ground is behind the church, where many of the first families connected with the church are buried.  The church was closed in 1956, and later converted to a single family dwelling.
A good example of the vernacular Gothic revival style, the building is designated for the many original features including the granite foundation, brick work, in the running bond pattern, eaves returns, cornice mouldings, and steeple with handsome brackets at the base.

 

Designated by By-law 90-187



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6179 Andrews Road
Part Lot 14, Concession 6 South, Township of Clarke

William Werry (1796-1871) emigrated to Canada from England in 1844.  His one and a half storey rubble
fieldstone house is one of the earliest stone houses in former Clarke Township. The house is unusual in that it
is 5 bays wide rather than the more common 3 bays, and that it features red brick voussoirs over the door
and window openings. The voussoirs are indicative of an early construction date.  The house is not listed on
the assessment roll compiled in May 1849, but it does appear on the census return taken in 1852, so placing construction circa 1850. The exterior has undergone few changes, and the house is designated for its original features and architectural value.

 

Designated by By-law 90-188



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



67 Ontario Street, Bowmanville

This brick house was built circa 1860, in a style uncommon to the town at that time. The panelled pilasters flanking the front door are affixed directly to the wall, giving the house a unique flat-fronted style.  It is designated for the both interior and exterior architectural features such as the hip roof with original panelling below eaves, running bond pattern masonry, band of decorative corbelling beneath eaves, the panelled pilasters flanking the front door and second floor 6 over 6 sash windows.  Plus some interior features.

 

Designated by By-law 92-80



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1640 Concession Road 9
Part Lot 31, Concession 9, Darlington Township

This frame church in the village of Enfield was built in 1877 by the Methodist Episcopal Church and became part of the United Church of Canada at church union in 1925.  A painted inscription above the front door reads “M.E.C.  A.D. 1877”.  The building is typical of small rural churches built in Darlington Township during the late nineteenth century. Frame churches were more commonly built than brick because they could be erected cheaply, but very few survive in good condition.  Enfield United Church remains relatively unchanged, with its original glazing and clapboard siding still intact.  It is considered to be the best surviving example of a small frame rural church in the former Darlington Township. 

 

Designated by By-law 92-082



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


5085 Main Street, Orono

Lot 16, Block D, Hanning Plan, Township of Clarke

This frame house is a rare example of the late Georgian Style, with its symmetrical façade of 5 bays wide on the first floor and 3 bays wide on the second.  It was built in 1847 (ref. 1861 Census) for Guy Gamsby (1801–1859), an American who came to Canada in 1834.  It is unusual in that it has been spared the modifications which have so drastically altered many of the surviving frame houses in the former Township.

 

Designated by By-law 90-20


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

81 Scugog Street, Bowmanville
Lot 6, Part Lot 1, Hanning Plan

This fine Italianate house originally stood north of Concession Street (near Prospect Street) and was moved to its present location in 1912 to allow for construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway. The doors on either side of the projecting bay originally led to separate flanking verandahs. The twin verandah now in place is an addition which dates from the time of the move. The symmetrical façade features a projecting central bay, which retains three round-headed windows and which is topped by a triangular gable. Known locally as the Burke Residence, the removal of the house from its original site makes it impossible to know which of the eleven Burk(e)s listed in Squairs ’was responsible for its construction (circa 1881). However, the superior detailing, along with the spelling “Burke” suggest that it belonged to an affluent member of the family.

 

Designated by By-law  90-21



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

40 Station Street, Orono
Lot 27, Concession 5,Township of Clarke

The “John Cobbledick House” is a fine example of a fieldstone farmhouse, typical of many of those built in the Clarke and Darlington Townships between 1850 and 1870.  It can be dated prior to 1861, as the dwelling description on the 1861 census is described as stone, one and a half storey.

John Cobbledick (1811-1890) emigrated from England with his wife Catherine circa 1840.  Their house is based on the Georgian tradition of a three bay wide symmetrical façade. However, its eaves, returns and beautifully moulded cornices are examples of detailing in the Greek Revival style.

 

Designated by By-law 90-22



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


76 Queen Street, Bowmanville
Town Lot 9, Block U

David Stott, local druggist, bought this lot from James McFeeters in 1870.  The hip-roofed Regency cottage built for him circa 1871 is more sophisticated than other cottages in the area. In particular, the façade is five bays wide, rather than the more common three bay arrangement found in most cottages of this type.  The double-hung rectangular windows are arched with wood, the steeply pitched gables of both the south and east sides contain small windows.

 

Designated by By-law 90-23



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

25 Park Street, Orono
Lots 6 and 11, Block M, Township of Clarke

This former Methodist Chapel (built circa 1857) is a good example of the Classic Revival Style. The building is designated architectural features such as the imposing rectangular shape and hipped roof,  the ornate porch and stained glass in the front doors.  Also of note is the original woodwork and flooring on the interior.

 

Designated by By-law 90-183



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

73 Temperance Street, Bowmanville
Part of Lot 1A, Block S

This L-shaped Gothic Revival house was built circa 1872 for Thomas Bassett (1828-1906), a successful local hardware merchant.  Thomas was born in Cornwall, England and immigrated to Canada in his twenties.
  A carpenter by trade and a merchant by inclination, he used his skills to great advantage during the boom
of the 1850s.  By selling out in 1860, he eluded the recession which ruined so many other local businesses.
The house remained under family ownership until 1925. The Bassett house was the first fine house built on Temperance Street, and is arguably the best example of its type in town. The delicate styling of the upper paired windows is not found elsewhere, and the eaves (now exceptionally plain) suggest that originally they may have been decorated with bargeboard.  The house is designated for many well-preserved and distinctive exterior features.

 

Designated by By-law 90-184



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The  Thomas Creeper House
20 Horsey Street, Bowmanville

The Bowman Estate Plan was registered in 1874 by Robert Taylor Raynes and his wife Elizabeth Raynes, sole surviving child and heir of Bowmanville founder Charles Bowman.   The property known today as 20 Horsey Street was identified as part of Lot 232A on the Bowman Estate Plan. 

 It is difficult to determine exactly when the existing brick house was constructed, but it seems probable that it was built for David Fogg between March 1875 and April 1877.   From the occupations of the various owners of Lot 232A, it would appear that the area was popular with self-employed tradesmen whose skills were needed as the Town of Bowmanville grew and prospered.

Thomas Rider Creeper (1824 -1908) was a carpenter who emigrated from Devon, England sometime between 1846 and 1851.   The family lived in several locations in Bowmanville, before moving to the comfortable brick house on Horsey Street in March of 1881.  The property stayed in the Creeper family for almost 100 years. 20 Horsey Street in Bowmanville is a Regency Cottage.  The craftsmanship of its construction is extraordinary and is evidenced in both its exterior and interior architectural features.

 

Designated by By-law 2012-004


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Kirby Schoolhouse
Con. 7, Pt. Lot 25

7086 Old Kirby School Road
Part Lot 25, Concession 7, Clarke Township

The Kirby School (S.S. No.14 Clarke) is the best preserved example of a one room school house of frame construction in the Municipality.  The building was constructed in 1878 on land owned by Nathanial Powers, the first settler of Kirby.  It retains its original clapboard siding, finial, and 6 over 6 sash windows.  The bell tower was added in 1891 and remains intact.  The school house is owned by the Municipality and is part of the Clarington Museum and Archives.  It is the first building to be designated in Clarington.

 

Designated by By-law 77-82, legal description amended by By-law 81-112



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The Cream of Barley Mill
133 Simpson Avenue
Bowmanville

Mackey’s Mill, also known as the Cream of Barley Mill, in the Soper Creek Park on Simpson Avenue, was built in 1905 by the John Mackay Co. to replace a large frame mill which had been destroyed by fire in 1904.  It is post and beam construction with a foundation of whole and cut fieldstone.  The roof has a raised clerestory, the rafters are thirty-two feet long and the walls nearly two feet thick.  The brick, laid in the common bond, may have been supplied by the Bowmanville Brick yards   It is one of the few brick mills surviving in Ontario. 

 

Designated by By-law 79-033



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Bowmanville Museum
37 Silver Street
Bowmanville

This house was the home of David Fisher, a local merchant who served on Bowmanville’s first municipal council and who later became the local Collector of Customs, and eventually cashier of the Ontario Bank.
It was also the home of J.H.H. Jury, one of the founders of the chain of Jury and Lovell drug stores and an equally prominent local citizen.  It is significant for architectural reasons as it is one of the earliest brick houses built in Bowmanville (c. 1846) and because in 1859 the original single storey house was very successfully converted into a pretentious home in the Italianate style and as such represents the best example of that style known to have been built in Bowmanville.

 

Designated by By-law 79-34



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The John McClung (Trebilcock) House
53 Division Street
Bowmanville

The John McClung House forms part of important grouping of mid-nineteenth century houses at intersection of Division and Wellington Streets.  John McClung was one of three brothers who established the McClung Brothers Dry Goods Store in Bowmanville.  In 1858 John built a one storey Regency cottage on the property.  A second storey addition was added in the 1870s and the verandah was removed, thereby changing its profile and giving the house a position of prominence on the street.  In 1884 the house was sold to Paul Trebilcock, stationer and book seller who was the editor oft The house remained in the Trebilcock family for the next 57 years.

 

Designated by By-law 81-42



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The Octagon
48 Division Street
Bowmanville

The Octogan house were based on Orson Fowler’s theory that the efficient geometry of eight sides was not only the best use of space but also promoted good health.  The Octagon was built in 1864 by the trustees of the Congregational Church as a parsonage for Reverend and Mrs.Thomas Reikie.  Alice Freedom, later known as Faith Fenton, the famed and unconventional lady Journalist”, lived with the Reikies from the time she was ten until she was fourteen.  By 1900 the congregation had declined and the house was sold to photographer, Henry Tait  Five years later Henry sold the house to his brother Archie, a well known grocer who was a Councillor for many years and then a Mayor from 1905-1906.  The house forms part of important grouping of mid-nineteenth century houses at intersection of Division and Wellington Streets.

 

Designated by By-law 81-42



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The Waltham Cottage
49 Division Street
Bowmanville

James McFeeters bought this property in 1852 and by 1857 has erected a house on the site.  Three years later Dr. George Low bought the property for his wife’s nieces, Mary Julia and Catherine Welch.  The house was transferred to the sisters in 1862.  For many years the Waltham Cottage was a finishing school for young gentlewoman.  The property forms part of an important grouping of mid-nineteenth century houses located at the intersection of Division and Wellington Streets.  The architectural features that are specifically designated include the front veranda, the original sash windows, the four pairs of French doors, the inner and outer front doorways, together with their transoms and side lights, and the concrete block garage.

 

Designated by By-law 84-65



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The Bleakley House
99 Church Street
Bowmanville

The east half of this home, a Georgian townhouse, may have been built in the 1840s for Charles and Julia Neville.  Neville was secretary of the Cricket Club in 1846, held a commission in the Third Durham Battalion in 1847, and was Rector’s Warden of St. John’s Church in 1848.   Francis Bleakley purchased the property from Neville and added the west wing to accommodate his four children.  Bleakley was active in the Liberal Party and in the temperance movement.  He served on the School Board and was elder in St. Paul’s Church.  The addition to the original townhouse was constructed with Italianate detailing and the home remained in the Bleakley family until 1961.

 

Designated by By-law 84-66



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The Samuel McConnachie House
85 High Street
Bowmanville

This Gothic Revival cottage, known as Rose Villa, was built in 1868 for Samuel McConnachie on a 12 acre parcel.  It is set well back from the street and its front façade is relatively simple with a large lancet window and projecting molding in the gable.   A large two storey addition was added to the rear of the home in 1881.  The exterior of the original house including the front porch and both sides of the building are specifically designated as being of architectural value.

 

Designated by By-law 84-67



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The Tyrone Blacksmith Shop
2752 Concession Road 7
Part Lot 8, Concession 7, Darlington Township

The property located in the south-west corner of Lot 8, Concession 7, former Township of Darlington, has a very significant architectural and historical value in that the property is a fine example of mid-nineteenth century stonework which remains almost unchanged since it was built c.1860.  The building is an important landmark in Tyrone and is one of the few surviving blacksmith shops in Clarington.  The Tyrone Blacksmith Shop was built for George Emmerson, an English immigrant, who purchased the property in 1856.  Emerson died in 1895 and the shop was sold to Samuel McCullough.  In 1902 it was purchased by his son, Robert McCullough, who operated the shop for over 50 years.  The entire structure and its interior and exterior fittings are designated as being of architectural and historical value.

 

Designated by By-law 85-128



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Former Clarke Township Hall
5315 Main Street
Orono

The former Clarke Township Hall, which housed the Township offices for 75 years, was officially opened on March 1, 1899 and was built to replace an earlier building which was destroyed by fire the previous year.  Its large triangular gable which faces the street makes it reminiscent of halls built earlier in the nineteenth century.  Triangular gables containing semi-circular windows also top the end bays of the side walls.  The round-headed openings of the main floor entrance and windows show the influence of the Romanesque Revival style which was popular in Canada during the 1890’s, especially for public or government buildings.  The building has changed little in appearance and makes an important contribution to the streetscape and overall character of Main Street. The entire structure and its interior and exterior fittings are designated as being of architectural and historical value.

 

Designated by By-law 87-15



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


                                        
The Daniel Weir House
117 Queen Street
Bowmanville

This house was built circa 1888 for Daniel Weir and is one of only a few houses in Bowmanville constructed in the elaborate Queen Anne Revival design.  The exterior of the house has red brick with horizontal bands of “tarred” brick running across the facades.  The architecture includes a complex arrangement of pitched roofs, bargeboards and variations in the size and glazing of windows.  The verandah is elaborate with turned posts, a mixture of wood shingles and siding, and gingerbread which encloses a coloured bulls-eye window.  The front doors are finely paneled oak with beveled glass windows.  All of these exterior features are specifically designated as being of architectural value.

 

Designated by By-law 87-16


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The John Stalker House
6667 Leskard Road
Part Lot 30, Concession 6, Clarke Township

The John Stalker House is a fine example of granite fieldstone farmhouse sometimes referred to as the Classic Ontario Farmhouse.  John Stalker, a native of Argyllshire, Scotland, emigrated with this family to Clarke Township in 1837 and he purchased the north 100 acres of Lot 30, Concession 6 in 1846.  The back section of the present house dates from 1855 and the front portion was built circa 1870.  The main portion of the house is particularly noteworthy for the quality of the stonework.  Large block of cut granite fieldstone are used to form the quoins and single rectangular granite lintels ate used over the ground floor windows on the west and north sides. 

The exterior of the original house with the central front gable containing a Gothic-arched doorway, the four panel door, the half-round columns on either side of the doorway, the French doors in the upper storey, the second floor windows, the wide red brick chimney and fireplace, the soffit details composed of plain frieze board with a cove moulding, and small returned eaves are specifically designated as being of architectural value.

 
Designated by By-law 87-017



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The Eber Millson House
1840 Concession Road 7
Part Lot 27, Concession 7, Darlington Township

The Eber Millson House is a Queen Anne Revival structure built in 1884.  The building includes round-headed windows, polychromatic brick work (buff and black trim), ornate gingerbread in the gables, a verandah, and porches on the east and west sides.  The original chimneys curve inward at the gables and the bay window has decorative brackets and trim.  A driving shed is attached at the rear and has a peaked gable and gingerbread trim.  The quality of design of the decorative plaster work of the dining room ceiling is exceptional.  There is a marble fireplace in the dining room and plaster mouldings with an arched entry to what might originally have been the rear parlor.  Two distinctive transoms are above the doors to the living and dining rooms containing ruby glass with white fleur-de-lis motifs.  An amber glass transom is above the door connecting the present living room and the kitchen.  There is wainscotting in the living room and the kitchen and a plaster ceiling medallion in the living room.  The front entrance has a ruby glass transom and sidelight and the staircase in the front hall is oak.  All of these heritage features are specifically designated as being of architectural value.

 

Designated by By-law 88-169



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The William Ormiston House
1721 Regional Road 3
Part Lots 29 and 30, Concession 7, Darlington Township

The William Ormiston House dates from 1855 is a Gothic centre gable house which retains many original features.  These include return eaves, lacy gingerbread, an ogee arched window in the gable, an unusual transom above the front door which features an arched gothic motif, and sidelights on the front door with rectangular glazing.  The  interior includes a fine tin ceiling and original wainscotting in the parlor, original wainscotting in the lower rear wing of the house, and a pine floor made of 6-inch pine.  All of these architectural features along with the inside basement door and the inside four-panelled doors, are specifically designated.

 

Designated by By-law 88-170



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Richard Souch House
3006 Concession Street East
Part Lots 3 and 4, Concession 2, Darlington Township

The Richard Souch House dates from 1850 and is representative of the 1-1/2 storey brick houses which were built in this area in the middle of the 19th century.  The structure has a three bay wide facade with return eaves.  The front door is surrounded by transom and sidelights.  The windows are 6 over 6 on the first floor and the basement windows are original.  These heritage features are specifically designated as being of architectural value.

 

Designated by By-law 88-171



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The David Coates House
14 Concession Street West
Bowmanville

Dr. David Coates was a physician practicing in Bowmanville in 1856 and it is assumed that this brick home was built for him circa 1854.  The house has a central gable which is common to farmhouses of that period.  The property would have been in the rural area outside of Bowmanville at the time of the building’s construction.  The house is a Gothic Revival style with Classic Revival, Italianate, and Queen Anne elements.  It retains many of its original features, particularly a fine ogee arch window in the front gable, the gingerbread in the gable and a turned finish on the gable peak, rectilinear glazing in the transom and sidelights of the front door, and a columned front porch surmounted by a distinctive railing.  There is original 19th century paint on the vertical buff pattern on the facade as well as on the quoins, and the 6 over 6 windows are original. 

The 1-1/2 storey carriage house at the rear of the property features a peaked gable, unusual lintels over the window and door, and original siding.  It is included in the designation. 

 

Designated by By-law 88-172



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Belmont
302 Given Road
Newcastle Village

The cellar of the Belmont, with its several large rooms separated by brick arches, was built by Major S. S. Wilmot circa 1814 and contains the spring where his son, Samuel Wilmot, the Father of Canadian Fish Culture began his experiments in the 1860s.  It was under his guidance that the first fish hatchery in Canada was built on the property.  The location is marked by a provincial plaque erected in 1967.   The first home was destroyed by a fire in 1898 and the house was reconstructed on the original foundation. It is essentially the same as the original and is representative of the larger brick homes built at the time.   The slate roof, two pillared verandahs with railed balconies above, the main cherry staircase, the fireplaces and mantels, and most of the original wood trim are specifically designated as being of architectural value.


Designated by By-law 88-173



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The former Town of Bowmanville Town Hall
40 Temperance Street
Bowmanville

Constructed between 1903 and 1904, the former Town of Bowmanville Town Hall was designed by A.R. Denison of Toronto.  It is the only example of the Beaux Arts style found in Bowmanville.  This architectural form takes its name from the Ecole de Beaux Arts in Paris where architects of the late nineteenth century were taught to design buildings based on Classical and Renaissance prototypes.

 

The symmetrical facade contains a recessed centre portion between slightly projecting end bays.  Horizontal rustication is evident on the lower storey as the brick has been laid to give the effect of broad horizontal bands.  The recessed portion of the upper storey contains three large windows set between projecting brick pilasters which are topped with decorative capitals.  The roof line cornice, with its rectangular brackets and semi-circular pediment, the octagon bell tower and the stone window dressings, door trim and scroll brackets all add to the appearance of stately importance.

 

On April 20, 1903, the council for the former Town of Bowmanville approved the construction of this new town hall building.  John Kydd was engaged as superintendent of the work under the direction of Mr. Denison, and the corner stone was laid on August 29, 1903, by John Hoskin Esq.

 

The building was officially opened on February 24,1904, and was multi-purpose in nature.  The lower floor held the municipal offices and the library, and the basement contained a detention cell with a heavy metal plated door and barred windows.  The Hall's most impressive feature was the upper floor auditorium which was utilized as an opera house.

 

It is significant to note that in the late 1980s the town hall was revived to accommodate the needs of a growing municipality.  1988 saw the official opening of a new post-modern addition. Designed by A.J. Diamond, Donald Schmitt and Company, the rehabilitation of the old section and its melding with the new administrative office portion won an award of excellence from the Ontario Architects Association (OAA).

 

The renovation was very sympathetic to the original construction as all exterior façade were maintained and new elements were carefully amalgamated. The west wall has been retained and can be seen upon entrance into the main reception area. The original north entrance has been replaced by a window and additional windows have been added where needed. The cast iron opera house seats have been refurbished and reupholstered and are now the balcony seating for the council chambers.

 

The former Town of Bowmanville Town Hall was recommended for designation for its historical significance and the following exterior architectural features:

 

. the low-hipped black slate roof
. the octagon bell tower and its balcony
. the heavy cornicing, rectangular brackets and pediment
. the original brick facade with its horizontal rustication
. the fieldstone foundation
. the brick pilasters and decorative capitals
. the galvanized tin trim and facades, bell tower and tower balcony
. the decorative stone work on the windows and main entrance
. the double doors of the front entrance with their heavy brass handles
. the balcony over the main entrance with its stone scroll brackets

 

Designated by By-law 97-018



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Canadian Statesman Building
62-66 King Street West

The Canadian Statesman building was constructed in 1856 for John Simpson who immigrated from Scotland in 1825. An enterprising businessman and politician, Simpson was president of the Port Darlington Harbour Co., a magistrate, a municipal councillor, and appointed to the senate following Confederation. The building was built to house a branch of the Bank of Montreal, of which he was manager. It also contained the law offices of St. John Hutcheson and Samuel Bradshaw's shoe store. The brick is considered to be from a brick works on Liberty Street and the limestone from the Baseline Road quarry.

In the 1870’s the "Canadian Statesman" rented space in the building. The paper was owned by the Rev. John Climie, who had founded it in 1855 to promote his beliefs.  Moses James purchased the "Canadian Statesman" in 1878 and the structure from the Simpson estate in 1902. Mr. James' two sons joined him in 1919 and the paper published by the James family until 2004. The building was designated for its historical significance and the following architectural features including the brick façade, limestone lintels, window sills and foundation and roof line parapets.

 

 

Designated by By-law 98-034



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Joseph Tucker Property
5028 Main Street
Orono

Joseph Lyle Tucker, a native of Cornwall, England, came to Orono in 1844.  A prosperous merchant, postmaster and member of Clarke Township Council, Tucker and his wife, the former Sabra Mallory, had this L-shaped residence constructed in 1876.  The use of decorative buff brick quoins, voussoirs and coursing was very fashionable in the 1870s and today its wooden finials, pendants and gingerbread remain in good condition.  The brick carriage house with its small paned sash windows and the wood plank shed with its three small paned windows are also well preserved and assumed to be constructed at the same time.  All three structures are included in the designation.  The house’s exterior architectural features include the Flemish bond brick, buff brick quoins and coursing, the original sash windows with their voussoirs, the finials, pendants and original lacy gingerbread, and the front entrance with its original door, transom, sidelights, and wooden trim.  Interior features listed in the designation include the central pine and walnut staircase with its decorative scrolls, the living room wooden window well, the original cornicing and baseboards through-out, the pine plank floors, the plaster medallions of the living room and foyer, and the kitchen wainscoting.

 

Designated by By-law 98-35



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


5565 Old Scugog Road
Hampton

This structure, dating from 1862, is a well-preserved example of the classic Ontario rural house.  Commonly known as Gothic Revival in style, it has a Gothic arched window in the central gable and decorative bargeboard along the eaves.  The returned eaves exhibit the Greek Revival tradition.  There is Regency glazing pattern in the transom, and an open porch in the Italianate style.  The designation applies to the exterior features which include the original brickwork, the louvered shutters, the original front door, the open front porch, and all original windows.

 

Designated by By-law 2000-163



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4525 Concession Road 5
Part Lot 8, Concession 4. Clarke Township

This L-shaped Victorian farmhouse typifies the Gothic Revival form of architecture with its gables, dormer, bargeboards and elaborately decorated porch and veranda.  Built in 1889, the house still retains its original metal shingled roof.  The wood plank barn with its fieldstone foundation, the board and batten and clapboard driving shed with its multi-paned windows, and the clapboard chicken coop with its two over two sash windows, are also well preserved and are assumed to have been constructed during the same period.  The house and the three accessory buildings are included in the designation.  The exterior features of the house include the original stretcher bond brick work and brick voussoirs, the metal shingled roof, the bargeboard, and the front porch and veranda with its gingerbread and pillars.  The home’s interior features include the wooden baseboard, door and window casings, the pine plank flooring with its hand graining, the original staircase, and the wooden wainscoting.

 

Designated by By-law 2001-062



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Prout House
3335 Lambs Road
Part Lot 6, Concession 3, Darlington Township

This traditional Ontario farmhouse was constructed in 1890 by the Prout family. The house was once part of the Model Dairy, run by the Luxton family who were the second owners of the home.  A small milk house, with the cooling pits for the milk cans, still exists on the property.  The home has a centre gable with a finial, which is common to the farmhouse style.  It still retains its original clapboard siding, two over two sash windows, and interior woodwork.  Exterior architectural features included in the designation are the clapboard siding, the two over two sash windows, and the gable finial.  Interior features include the wooden baseboards, the wooden window and door casings, the original staircase, and the plank flooring in the living room, dining room and kitchen.

 

Designated by By-law 2001-063



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5277 Main Street
Orono

This circa 1916 home has been constructed with a combination of architectural elements. The gable roof and front porch roof, both with return eaves, are representative of the Classic Revival period, while the round arch window in the gable, basket arched windows of the first and second stories, and the wide eaves are common to the Italianate period.  Built in the stretch bond pattern of brick work, this early 1900s home was recommended for designation for its architectural features which include the exterior’s stretcher bond brick, wood soffit and fascia, and original windows of the main house and the front porch.  Interior features include the original oak floors, the pine plank flooring, the wide wooden baseboard, window and door casings, the original wood panel staircase, the double wood pocket doors and single wood pocket door with etched glass, and the original front entrance door and wooden doors throughout.

 

Designated by By-law 2001-064



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Thomas Doncaster House
5161 Main Street
Orono

This two storey structure was built in 1899 by Thomas Doncaster and his son, Edgerton. Edwardian in style, it contains a front facing balcony and rear facing dormer.  Italianate features are also evident in its paired and carved eave brackets, double front entrance door, and round top first floor window.  The first occupants of the home were George Harris Linton and his wife, Alfretta, and upon its completion the local newspaper deemed it worthy of description.  The longest residents were Almerick and Martha (Trull) Gamsby and family.   Almerick was a noted hunter in the area and his trophies adorned the front porch for many years. It was recommended for designation for its historical significance and the architectural features which include the exterior’s original brick and cut stone foundation, the original windows, the double front doors and transom, the wood columns, handrails, ballisters and tongue and groove flooring on front porch and balcony, and the wood soffits, carved and paired eave brackets and wood frieze.  Interior features include the original wood baseboard, window casings and door trim, the wood panel doors and windows above, the tin ceiling in the kitchen, the banister, balistrates and newel posts, the random pine plank flooring, and the tongue and groove pine flooring.

 

Designated by By-law 2001-065



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lorne Villa
35 Centre Street
Bowmanville

Called Lorne Villa, as a tribute to the Marquis of Lorne, governor-general from 1878-1883, the first recorded owner of this property is Cephas Barker, a Bible Christian preacher who moved to Bowmanville in 1867.  Barker was the editor ofnewspaper.  By 1880 the newspaper was in debt and Barker moved to London where he died in 1881.  By 1887 Lorne Villa the property has been transferred to Moses A. James, owner ofMoses lived on the south side and his son Norman on the north side.  The house remained in the James family for the next fifty years

This unit of a semi-detached Italianate home, circa 1876, is one of the most unusual houses built in Bowmanville as it has been constructed of solid, natural, limestone and clay cement.   Architectural elements, such as quoins, soldier courses and keystones have been etched in the cement and are still visible. The designated exterior features include the poured cement construction with its architectural etchings, the original eaves and decorative brackets, the original front door, and the window casings and lintels.

 

Designated by By-law 2001-179



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lorne Villa                     
33 Centre Street
Bowmanville

Called Lorne Villa, as a tribute to the Marquis of Lorne, governor-general from 1878-1883, the first recorded owner of this property is Cephas Barker, a Bible Christian preacher who moved to Bowmanville in 1867.  Barker was the editor of newspaper.  By 1880 the newspaper was in debt and Barker moved to London where he died in 1881.  By 1887 Lorne Villa the property has been transferred to Moses A. James, owner of Moses lived on the south side and his son Norman on the north side.  The house remained in the James family for the next fifty years

This unit of a semi-detached Italianate home, circa 1876, is one of the most unusual houses built in Bowmanville as it has been constructed of solid, natural, limestone and clay cement.  Architectural elements, such as quoins, soldier courses and keystones have been etched in the cement and are still visible. The designated exterior features include the poured cement construction with its architectural etchings, the original eaves and decorative brackets, the original front door, and the window casings and lintels.

 

Designated by By-law 2001-180



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Roger Cole House
5311 Acres Road
Part Lot 4, Concession 5, Darlington Township

This random-coursed fieldstone farmhouse was constructed in the Regency style for Roger Cole in approximately 1855.  It is one of three similar stone houses along Acres Road all built for members of the Cole family.  The house sits on a 100 acre lot which has been farmed for generations.  The building has been restored and modified to provide modern conveniences while still maintaining many of its original architectural elements.  The exterior architectural features included in the designation are the random-course fieldstone, the cross and bible front wooden door, the front entrance transom frame and sidelight frames, the split granite fieldstone quoins, the granite lintels, the hip roof with gable ends and return eaves and the ingle green granite stone in south wall.  Interior features include the red pine flooring, the staircase with decorative scrolls, square balusters and round-over railings, the dining room hand-grained door, the window wells and casings, the fire place with simple mantle and concrete hearth, the built-in china cabinet with cylinder glass, the original baseboards, door casings, window casings, chair rails and doors, the wainscoting and ceiling in former back kitchen, the hot iron floor registers and wooden cold air registers, and the original basement windows and wooden stairs.

 

Designated by By-law 2002-135



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Washington House
6585 Regional Road 34
Part Lot 30, Concession 6, Darlington Township

This fieldstone farmhouse was constructed in the NeoClassical style for Anthony Washington and his wife, Elizabeth Annis.  The house was originally located on a large farm lot at 5541 Washington Road which Anthony Washington acquired in 1834.  In 1882 Thomas and Margaret Pascoe purchased the property.  In 1890 the Pascoe farm was awarded the silver medal for the best producing farm in Durham County.  Lewis Pascoe inherited the property from his father Thomas and carried on farming with his wife Emma Jane.  In 1922 ownership was transferred to Isaac Hardy, who was also an expert farmer.  The property became known as "Hardivue" after Isaac switched from beef cattle to purebred Holsteins.  It remained in the Hardy ownership until Isaac retired in 1970.  The building was purchased from the Ministry of Transportation and moved from 5541 Washington Road to 6585 Regional Road 34 in 2004 to save it from demolition.

 

This one and one half storey house was built in the 1850s.  It is three bays wide and three bays long and still retains its raised german white pointing in the south facade above the old porch line.  The south facade's granite stone is white, pink, and black random colour Ashlar with a square faced cut laid in a course uneven pattern.  The east and west facades' granite stone is square faced and laid in a coursed uneven pattern. The north facade is faced with rubble with no coursing.  It has also been covered with concrete and a white top coat of stucco.  This stone farmhouse was recommended for designation at its new location for its cultural heritage significance.  The exterior architectural features included in the designation are the Ashlar granite stone of the south façade, the east and west facades' square faced granite, the north facade's random rubble, and the main entrance rectangular transom and sidelights

 

Designated by By-law 2005-091



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cole House
4675 Bethesda Road
Part Lot 6, Concession 4, Darlington Township

This fieldstone three bay by two bay farmhouse was constructed for the Cole family in approximately 1855. It is one of three similar stone houses that were located along Acres Road.  The house sat on a 100 acre lot on 5690 Acres Road which had been owned by James Bates.  James bequeathed the property to his wife Elizabeth and their children on July 19th, 1832.  Charles Bates, possibly the son of James and Elizabeth, became the owner of the lands by 1845. Charlesville, which is now called Haydon, was called such in honour of Charles Bates as he built a mill there that encouraged settlement.  Charles Bates sold the property to Roger Cole, who is reputed to have donated the funds to build an Anglican Church in Bowmanville.  When Roger died in 1861 his son John Cole became the owner.  In 1886 John willed the property to his son John RR Cole.  The property remained in the Cole family until 1962.  The building was purchased from the Ministry of Transportation and moved from 5690 Acres Road to 4675 Bethesda Road in 2004 to save it from demolition.

The front and north side of the farmhouse was constructed of Ashlar cut stone, hammered into square and rectangle styles and set in a broken range.  The stones range in colour from black to white to pink.  The south wall is rubble hammered into a faced stone set in a random coarse pattern.  The east wall is split rubble set in a random pattern.  An enclosed frame porch covers approximately one third of the front facade. Two-thirds of the east wall is covered by a frame addition and there is also evidence of previous addition.  The farmhouse was recommended for designation at its new location for its cultural heritage significance.  Specific architectural features included in the designation are the Ashlar cut stone of the north and west facades, the south facade's hammered rubble, and the east facade's random split rubble.

Designated by By-law 2005-092



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The Walbridge House
483 King Avenue East
Newcastle Village

Walbridge House, Newcastle Village

The Walbridge House is was originally part of a 600 acre parcel which began at
Concession Road 3 extending southward to Metcalfe Street.  In 1792 the land was a Crown Grant to Rachel Cruickshank who was a close personal friend of Mrs. John Graves Simcoe (Elizabeth Postumus).  In 1816 Rachel Cruickshank sold the land to Asa E. Walbridge for $1200. The combined enumeration and assessment roll for Clarke Township, Archives of Ontario, indicates that Asa E. Walbridge built the house between 1825 and 1826. The Walbridge House was a very large home for its time and had a total of six fireplaces. Asa E. Walbridge was born 1782 in Dutchess County, New York State. In 1809 he married Hannah Every and they had five children. He was appointed a magistrate by the Province, however, this may be a Justice of the Peace. In March of 1838, the Bond Head Harbour Company received its charter and one of the founding directors was Asa E. Walbridge.  Asa died in1860 in Newcastle Village. Starting in 1805 the Methodists had what were called Saddlebag Preachers and the Smith's Creek Circuit stretched from Belleville to York (Toronto).  In 1824 a second preacher named Rev. Anson Green was added to the circuit.  On November 4th he preached the first Methodist sermon at Asa E. Walbridge's house on the main road. Thus, a Methodist congregation was officially founded in the Walbridge house.  In November of 1974. the 150th anniversary of Methodism in Newcastle was celebrated and the opening ceremonies took place at the home.  From 1950 to 1958 this house was known as the Gladibrae Tourist Home, a bed and breakfast owned and operated by Harry and Louise Jose. Descendents of the Walbridge family continued to reside in this home until 1987 when it was sold to a developer.

 

The house is a one and a half storey, five panel front, Georgian style home which exhibits a profile and arrangement of exterior features favoured in the earlier decades of the 19th century.  It is unusually wide as its exterior dimensions are 43 feet in width by 34 feet in depth. The original clapboard siding has been covered with aluminum and the second floor dormer is a 20th century addition. The original six over six, four over four, and three over one windows remain, as does the original stone foundation. The ground flooring 5/4 inch pine rests on top of logs, some of which are hand hewn, which rests on the outside stone foundation and scattered inside stone pillars. There are 7" by 2" bricks on the back outer wall adjacent to the clapboard siding.  The front porch retains its six over six sidelights, its transom, 39" wide entrance door, and entablature. Interior features include the servant's staircase, window casings, interior doors and woodwork, wood flooring and pole rafters.  The building retains its centre chimney and there is evidence of a bread oven at its base. At the time of designation there were only 92 known buildings in all of Ontario that are of this vintage. The Walbridge House may be the second oldest house within the historic boundaries of the former Durham County and may be the oldest building in Clarington on its original foundation.

Designated by By-law 2007-104


.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------